Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy 28th to my Lil' Sis

I think everyone who has a sister thinks they must have the best sister in the world. I fit into that category as well. My little sister Lindsay is an amazing person. She is so responsible (that's probably why people think she is older than me), hardworking, level headed, fun, spunky, and she makes me laugh all the time. I truly have the best time when I'm with her. I love her dearly and I can't imagine her not being in my life. She is a great sister, mother, and person in general. People who don't know her are definately missing out.

Today just happens to be her 28th birthday. I can't believe that she is turning another year older. Currently my sister is 8 months prego and she rarely thinks about herself because she is always doing for everyone else. For a treat, I took her to get a pedi on Monday. It's so nice to be pampered sometimes. We are heading down to our favorite Mexican restaurant for a killer non-alcoholic peach margarita to celebrate. Happy Birthday to the best sister I could ever ask for! I love you bunches!

I made her this birthday card, which took forever because I think my mojo, which has been working like magic lately, took a short vacation. I decided to incorporate a couple challenges when I created this card. I actually think this is why I had such a difficult time though. The first part of the card was the layout challenge provided by Mojo Monday. Here is the sketch I was working with. My problem usually is that I follow a sketch to the T, and this time I wanted to deviate a bit.

Mojo 199

The second part of this card is the color combo. This color combination was provided by my upline Kelly as a challenge. Boy oh boy, was it a challenge! This color challenge was provided by The Paper Players.

Paper Players Challenge 55

Here's what I came up with. I was a bit puzzled for quite a while wondering what to do, wondering if the Poppy looked too bright as the background, wondering if I should or shouldn't stamp on the Poppy cardstock, and wondering if I should use the big  or small space for a sentiment. I'm a bit of a worrier, if you couldn't tell. One of my favorite parts of this card was using my Big Shot to cut out the bottom layer of flower from balsa wood. Great idea from Dawn McVey.

Artistic Etchings, Balsa Wood, Big Shot, Stampin' Up
Goodies
Stamps: Artistic Etchings, Occasional Quotes
Ink: Basic Gray
Paper: Poppy Parade, Marina Mist, Basic Gray, Crumb Cake, First Edition DSP
Accessories: Balsa Wood, Big Shot, Fun Flowers die, Dotted Scallop Ribbon border punch, linen thread, Subtle button, Slit punch

7 comments:

  1. Amanda, I love it! I really love Poppy Parade....and your card really works with the challenge! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card! Love your sentiment flag and newsprint border. Thanks for playing Mojo Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have worried over this one but we would never know! This card is fabulous! Love that fun flower and your newsprint border just pops! I think the BG stamping on Poppy Parade was the perfect touch. Love it! Thanks for joining us at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is fabulous, Amanda! I love the big flower and the flaged sentiment. I'm sure your sister loved it too! Thanks for playing along with the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, your card is great Amanda ... I love the boldness of the stamped poppy background works great with the focal flower, and how good does that balsa wood look .... this is fabulous!
    Thank you for playing along with us at Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that layered flower. And that bit of newsprint paper is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome card, Amanda! Love that fabby flower and the hint of newsprint paper. I'm sure your sister loved it! Thanks so much for joining us at the Paper Players! :)

    ReplyDelete