Friday, June 18, 2010

What's in a name?

Believe it or not, I began this blog/business idea so much later than I should have because of a name. I have many things I would love to do in my life. One of them is either to own/run a soup & sandwich restaurant or to have my own cupcake shoppe. I have names for both of those businesses, even though the probability of either of them actually happening are slim at best. It's still important to dream though.

I didn't want to start a blog, website, Etsy store, or anything else until I picked out a name. This proved to be somewhat more difficult than I thought. Anyone who knows me, knows that I don't like making decisions. I toy with ideas but could never settle on one that felt good. I still feel unsure about the choice I made, but here is the story behind it and why it works for me.

I had a student named Max this school year and he liked to put my name into a website on the computer called Sloganizer. One of the slogans that came up was, "Simply Amanda (last name)." He thought it was so funny. It wasn't until I started thinking about business names that this once funny inside joke became a real contender. Once I settled on the name, it became clearer to me that this was the right choice. It really does speak about me. I am pretty simple and I don't like things to be too complicated. As the things I do and sell are an extension of me. They're all the things I love best, so...they are simply amanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment